Human Services / Youth Services
Email This Page

What We Do

The mission of the Department of Health & Human Services is to help all New Canaan residents to function optimally by developing programs and activities that address developmental needs, as well as helping residents obtain appropriate social services and resources. 

Contact Us

Main Telephone: 203-594-3076
Main Fax: 203-594-3132
Monday - Friday 8:00am - 4:00pm

Carol McDonald, R.N. Director of Health & Human Services

Bethany Zaro, RN, MPH Assistant Director of Health & Human Services, Senior/Adult Outreach Worker
203- 594-3093
Enza Albano, Program Assistant 

Jacqueline D'Louhy, LCSW Youth and Family Services Coordinator  

Robin Boccuzzi, R.N. Community Nurse


Vine Cottage
61 Main Street
New Canaan, CT 06840  


The professional staff has a wide range of training and experience in the area of Social Services and Community Health services. The staff coordinates and offers free and confidential services for youth ages 0-21 and their families, adults, and seniors.

Services we offer include:

Counseling  and Crisis Intervention

Community Networking
Programs designed to increase community awareness regarding youth-related issues as well as aging issues 

Parent Support
Provides short term counseling and linkage to treatment, educational groups and workshops to enhance parenting skills

Youth Support
Linking residents to youth programs designed to foster self-esteem and build resiliency skills in youths

General Assistance
Provides financial aid to eligible residents

Energy Assistance
Provides financial aid for home heating through a state program

Holiday Programs
Provide meals, gifts and additional support during the holiday season for eligible residents



Department of Health & Human Services – 203-594-3076
United Way 211: or call 211 Southwestern Connecticut Agency on Aging 203-333-9288

Services for Youth and Family

Information on Personal or Family Issues

New Canaan Youth Services - 203-594-3076
New Canaan Youth Officer -  203-594-3523
Teen Crisis Hotline -  1-888-825-6777
Kids In Crisis Hotline -  203-327-KIDS (5437)
Women, Infants and Children (WIC) -  1-800-741-2142
Healthcare for Uninsured Kids and Youth (HUSKY) -  1-877-CT-HUSKY (284-8759)

Drug and Alcohol Free Opportunities

CT Communities for Drug Free Youth -  203-838-3224

Ram Council Foundation, Inc. - 917-678-0543

Directory of Activities and Services

For a list of  Directory of Activities and Services click here


Ambulance 911
Fire Department 911 (non emergency 203-594-3140)
Police 911 (non emergency 203-594-3500)
Poison Control Department - Norwalk Hospital 203-852-2160

Services for Older Adults

Southwestern CT agency on Aging (SWCAA)
The Southwestern CT Agency on Aging and Independent Living is here to help you maintain and improve the quality
of your life in the community. SWCAA can help you navigate options to help you or your loved one remain
in the community regardless of age.
203-333-9288 -

Health Services
Waveny Life Care Network - 203-594-5200
Includes: Brown Geriatrics Assessment Clinic 203-594-5200
Outpatient Rehabilitation Therapy 203-594-5200
Greenwich Hospital 203-863-3000
Norwalk Hospital 203-852-2000
Stamford Hospital 203-325-7000
How to minimize the risk of falling - Click here 

Adult Day Care 
Waveny Life Care Network - 203-594-5200,

Special Services
CHOICES Counselor - Lapham Center - 203-594-3620
Human Services Department - 203-594-3076
Meals on Wheels 203-594-5318 
Staying Put in New Canaan 203-966-7762
Friendly Connections (Family Centers Inc.) 203-966-2912
Tax Prep & Filing (free) – Lapham Center - 203-594-3620


Canaan Parish - Westmount Management - 203-966-1150
Mill & Millport Apartments – Konover Residential Management – 203-894-2194
New Canaan Inn 203-594-5450
Schoolhouse Apartments (Seniors & Disabled only) - 203-972-0020

The following links may be of help:   This link provides many services and info, including housing, for the entire state. It is sponsored by the United Way.    This website will tell you which towns/cities are accepting applications for its Section 8 Waitlist. Sign up for email notifications, if interested.    This link explains the Section 8 (Voucher Program for CT).


Legal Aid
Center for Medicare Advocacy 800-262-4414
Statewide Legal Services for Connecticut - Toll-free: (800) 453-3320 -

Getabout, Inc. – 203-972-7433

Personal or Family Difficulties
Alanon – Toll Free 1-888-825-2666
Alcoholics Anonymous - Connecticut Statewide 24 Hour Hotline - (866)783-7712
Alzheimer’s info – Waveny Life Care Network  203-594-5200
American Red Cross   (877) 287-3327
Catholic Family Services    203-831-8200
Jewish Family Services   203-921-4161
Center for Hope, Inc   203-655-4693
Family & Children's Agency, Inc - 203-855-8765
Family Centers, Inc  203-869-4848
New Canaan CARES, Inc   203-966-7862
New Canaan Food Pantry 203-594-3076
Person to Person   203-655-0048
The Domestic Violence Crisis Center (DVCC)-(203-774-2900) HOTLINE: 1-888-774-2900 WEBSITE: WWW.DVCCCT.ORG

Financial Assistance
Department of Health & Human Services 203-594-3076
State Department of Social Services – 855-626-6632 -
DSS-Am I eligible: food stamps, medical, cash assistance -  
Elderly Tax Relief – Property Owners – 203-594-3064
Social Security – 866-770-1881 -

Classes and Activities 
New Canaan Library 203-594-5000
Services for Visually Handicapped 203-594-5000
Senior Center at Lapham Community Center 203-594-3620
Men's Club 203-966-4528
Norwalk Community College 203-857-7000  
Silvermine Guild Arts Center 203-966-6668

Volunteer Opportunities
Lapham Community Center 203-594-3620
New Canaan Library 203-594-5000
New Canaan Public Schools 203-594-4000
Waveny Care Center 203-594-5200
Staying Put in New Canaan 203-966-7772
New Canaan Food Pantry 203-594-3082 - Click here for Food Pantry calendar. 

Frequently Asked Questions

What services/resources are available for my family, adult, or senior?
When you visit or call Human Services, we can give you information on health services, housing options, child care, legal aid, mental health counseling, financial assistance, and much more.

Are these services free and confidential?
Yes, but the staff of Human Services are mandated reporters. The state law requires that if a mandated reporter has reasonable cause to suspect or believe that a child under the age of 18 has been abused, neglected or is placed in imminent risk of serious harm we must call the Department of Children and Families. If there is reasonable cause to suspect abuse of an older adult, we must call Adult Protective Services.

If I know of a child who is being abused, what do I do?
You can call the Department of Human Services for guidance or directly report (anonymously or by name) to the State Department of Children and Families Hotline at 1-800-842-2288.

What type of Holiday Programs do you run?
We have programs that provide meals, gifts and support during the holiday season to eligible residents. These programs differ from year to year. For more information please call Human Services.

I'm concerned that my child has a substance problem and I need a referral. Can you help with a referral?
Yes, we often assist families in effectively linking them up with appropriate referral sources. For more information please call the Department of Human Services.

Can a teenager see a mental health professional without parental knowledge or permission? Should a minor (under age 18) be interested in mental health treatment and notification of a parent or guardian would cause the minor to reject such treatment, a minor can see a licensed mental health professional for six sessions. After six sessions, notification or involvement of a parent or guardian is required to continue treatment, unless such a requirement would be seriously detrimental to the minor's well-being.  For teens who need mental health treatment but really can't let their parents/guardians know and where the provider is in agreement, the parents/guardians are not liable for the cost of treatment. 

What is the difference between the types of mental health professionals?

Psychiatrist: A medical doctor (M.D.) who is specialized in treating mental health problems. Psychiatrists can prescribe medications if needed.
Psychologist: Usually a doctoral level individual who has had specific number of years of supervised clinical training. A psychologist utilizes talking therapies and can perform testing evaluations.
Social Workers: Social Workers can be M.S.W. (masters level education in Social Work) or L.C.S.W. (Licensed Certified Social Worker) which is a masters level education in Social Work plus postmasters practice and supervision and the successful completion of a certification exam in social work practice.
Marriage and Family Therapist: Requires a minimum master level education with special training in working with couple and family issues. State certification is required.
Substance Abuse Counselors: Specializes in the treatment of alcohol or other drug problems. They are state certified as C.A.C (Certified Alcohol Counselor) or C.A.D.C. (Certified Alcohol & Drug Counselor: Certification does not indication degree level.
Professional Counselor: Counselors can be M.A. (masters level education in Counseling) or L.P.C. (Licensed Professional Counselors) which is a masters level education in Counseling plus post masters practice and supervision and the successful completion of a certification exam in counseling practice.
Counselors: Counselors can include guidance counselors, and community counselors who have a masters level education.

Who can I contact for legal assistance for my family or youth?
You can contact the Department of Human Services or The Center for Children's Advocacy at 860-570-5253, 

What services/resources are available for my aging parents?
When you visit or call Human Services, we can give you information on health services, housing options, adult day care, legal aid, transportation, mental health counseling, financial assistance, volunteer opportunities, classes and activities, Meals on Wheels and much more.

How do I apply for Fuel Assistance?
Call the Department of Human Services and schedule an appointment. The State Fuel Program runs from October - March. We will ask you to bring in proof of income, assets, age and disability (if applicable). If you are over the income limit for the State Fuel Assistance Program we will have you apply for the local program.

Do you take donations of furniture?
We do take donations of furniture but only if we have a client who needs what you are donating.

What is Meals on Wheels?
Meals on Wheels of New Canaan is a non-profit community service which provides nourishing meals each
weekday throughout the year to eligible citizens of New Canaan, Connecticut so that they may continue to live
independently in their own homes. There is no age restriction. – 203-594-5318

Getabout, Inc
Getabout's mission is to provide rides within New Canaan to “Seniors and those with special needs," New Canaan's elderly
and handicapped. Five vans, four of them with wheel chair capability, operate eight hours a day Monday through Friday.
Voluntary contributions of $3.00 per one way ride are suggested to help defray expenses. Rides must be reserved one
day in advance by calling 203-972-7433.

Where could I get information about Medicare/Medicaid?

The Department of Health & Human Services has information on Medicare and Medicaid. We also have insurance counselors available to meet with seniors in regards to
Medicare, Medicaid, and supplemental policies. Please call 203-594-3076 to schedule an appointment.

Can I donate non-perishable food?
Yes, we have the New Canaan Food Pantry at St. Mark's Church. Call the Human Services Department at 203-594-3076 for drop off information.

If I know of a senior who is being abused, what do I do?
You can call the Department of Human Services at 203-594-3076 or Adult Protective Services at 203-855-2759

How do I apply for Renters/Homeowners Tax Rebate Program?

For more information or to apply, call Human Services at 203-594-3076 and make an appointment.

What does the Municipal Agent on Aging do and how do I get in touch with her?
Municipal Agents provide information and referral services, distribute information, assist individuals in learning about community resources, and help with applying for benefits.
New Canaan’s Municipal Agent is Bethany Zaro, Assistant Director of Health & Human Services, 203-594-3093.